Campfire Chicken and Dumplin’
We might not be in our southern kitchens when we are camping, but we can still keep cookin’ our fabulous southern style food while camping and trust me when I say that this chicken and dumplin’ recipe will bring all the campers to your campfire to see what y’all are cookin’!
1 Dutch oven chicken 2-1/2 to 3 pounds- cubed- I use the already roasted chickens you can get at the grocery store. OR you can buy a chicken and boil it over the fire in a Dutch oven until cooked-about 30 minutes.
3 cups water
1 cup chopped onion
4 celery ribs sliced
3 medium carrots sliced
1 teaspoon celery seed
1 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon pepper
3 cups biscuit/baking mix/gluten free if you need
3/4 cup plus 2 tablespoons milk
1. Remove chicken from bone and cube.
2. Put the chicken in a Dutch oven along with the water, onion, celery, carrots, celery seed, salt and pepper.
3. Bring to a boil over the campfire.
4. Cover and simmer until vegetables are tender- about 45 minutes.
5. For dumplings, combine the biscuit mix, milk, parsley and remaining sage to form a stiff batter. For an easy hack, you can bring along a can of biscuits and keep them in your camper refrigerator until you make this recipe.
6. Drop by tablespoonfuls into the simmering chicken mixture.
7. Cover and simmer for 15 minutes because this will make the dumplings puff up and cooked through.
8. Serve, eat and enjoy!