“USA TODAY Bestselling Author Tonya Kappes’s A Camper and Criminals Cozy Mystery Series is a hit!” ~ Cozy Mystery Reporter
When I wrote Beaches, Bungalows, & Burglaries, I had no idea what a success the series was going to turn out to be. I just knew that I wanted another series to connect with readers. I know that my cozy sleuth, Mae, does just that. She’s funny, sassy, sophisticated. . .well. . .southern!
This page is dedicated to fun things I might find on the internet about camping, hack’s and recipes, plus other things I just think would add fun.
RECIPES AND CLEANING HACKS FROM MAE WEST AND WOMEN IN
NORMAL, KENTUCKY and HAPPY TRAILS CAMPGROUND
BEACHES, BUNGALOWS, & BURGLARIES
RV HACK #1
KEEP AWAY THE CRITTERS:
Take Irish Springs bar soap and put chunks of it around the engine compartment. The smell of Irish Springs works great to deter the little critters from moving in. Some folks with large RVs will also run small stands of LED lights under the vehicle at night for even greater protection.
PREACHER’S WIFE PINEAPPLE CASSEROLE
2 (20-ounce) cans pineapple chunks packed in juice, well-drained
3/4 cup sugar
6 tablespoons self-rising flour (see Note below)
2 cups grated Cheddar cheese
4 ounces Ritz crackers
1 stick butter, melted
NOTE: Be sure to use self-rising flour, not all-purpose, as it already has the other necessary ingredients included.
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Spray a 2-quart or 8 x 8-inch baking dish with cooking spray.
2. In a medium bowl, mix the sugar and flour. Then, add pineapple and cheese and stir until there are no more dry particles. Spoon this mixture into the prepared baking dish.
3. Crush crackers by pulsing in a food processor and add the melted butter with the machine running until it has the texture of wet sand. Add the crushed cracker mixture to the top of the casserole.
4. Bake about 25 minutes until the top is lightly browned.
RV HACK #2
DUCK TAPE ACCORDING TO QUEENIE
It’s not secret that Queenie believes Duct Tape can be used for anything and that’s why she carries around a roll everywhere she goes. Queenie tell campers who come into the Laundry Club that if they take duct tape and wrap it around a water bottles. This turns a water bottles in handy little rolls of duct tape, and since water bottles are never far away, neither is the roll of duct.
HENRY’S BUTTERMILK GARLIC AND CHEDDAR BISCUITS
2 cups flour
2 tsp baking powder
1 tsp baking soda
pinch of salt
1 tsp sugar
1/4 tsp paprika
1/3 cup or 5 tbsp cold butter
3/4 cup grated cheddar cheese
1 cup Homemade Buttermilk
For the Topping
2 tbsp butter
1/2 tbsp parsley
1 tsp garlic powder
For the Buttermilk
1 tbsp white wine vinegar or lemon juice
1 cup 2% or whole milk
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
2. In a bowl, mix flour, baking powder, baking soda, salt, sugar, & paprika together using a fork. Cut in the butter in pieces with the flour mixture until it resembles a cornmeal mixture. This will take about 3-4 minutes of pressing the butter into the flour. Add cheese. Stir in milk and stir to combine. The dough should be sticky.
3. Using a tablespoon scoop the mixture onto a greased cookie sheet. Brush with the melted butter topping and bake for 12-15 minutes or until the tops are lightly golden.
To make the buttermilk
In a glass measuring dish, pour in vinegar. Add milk just until up to the 1 cup line. Let sit for 5 minutes.
RV HACK #3
TY RANDAL’S SECRET GROUT CLEANER
If you have grout on any surface it has probably gotten its fair share of dirt. Make it white again with 7 cups of water, 1/2 cup of baking soda, 1/3 cup of ammonia (or lemon juice), and 1/4 cup of vinegar. Spray it on the grout, leave for an hour, then scrub it off vigorously with a brush.
CAMPFIRE S’MORE DIP USING A CAST IRON SKILLET
Get that campfire going!
Bag of Chocolate Chips (large bag)
Bag of Marshmallows (large bag)
Box of Graham Crackers
1. Get your campfire going or start the oven.
2. In a large cast iron skillet, sprinkle the chocolate chips in it, spreading them out.
3. Place all the marshmallows on top of the chocolate chips in the cast iron skillet.
4. Bake for 8 to 10 minutes! Until the marshmallows are golden brown. If you are cooking over a campfire, loosely cover with foil.
5. Break out the graham crackers and dip them to enjoy!
DESERTS, DRIVING, & DERELICTS